There is a widespread misconception that root canal therapy is painful. On the contrary, it can help you avoid pain and improve your dental health. Root canals are dental procedures used to treat tooth root infections and relieve pain and suffering. At Discount Dental in Pasco, WA, we provide our patients with safe and convenient root canal treatments that help them recover the strength and functionality of their natural teeth.
What Is a Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatments address issues with a tooth's soft core, often known as the dental pulp. The pulp is located within the tooth and extends from the crown to the tip of the root. It is made up of connective tissues, nerves, and blood vessels that supply oxygen, nutrition, and sensitivity to the tooth. Root canal therapy removes and seals damaged or inflammatory pulp from the pulp chamber and root canals of a tooth.
Root Canal Infection Signs and Symptoms
- Inflammation or swelling of the gums surrounding the damaged tooth, as well as the formation of an abscess
- Gum tenderness after biting or chewing.
- Experiencing constant pain during biting or chewing. It is also normal to experience tooth sensitivity while applying pressure to the affected area. However, you should be aware that tooth pain is not an indicator that you need root canal therapy.
- Teeth that are extremely sensitive to cold or hot foods and beverages.
- The damaged tooth is discolored or darkening.
Root Canal Treatment Procedure
- Consult our dentist, who will perform an X-ray of the impacted tooth. It assists us in determining whether or not the tooth is infected and requires root canal treatment.
- The damaged area is then numbed with an anesthetic so that the patient does not feel pain during the process.
- To isolate the afflicted tooth from the surrounding environment and saliva, a rubber dam is utilized.
- A dental bur is used to drill a hole into the afflicted tooth, allowing access to the pulp cavity.
- The dead or infected pulp, nerve, and tissues must next be removed. The pulp cavity is then thoroughly cleansed.
- After cleaning and shaping, the pulp cavity is filled with gutta-percha, an inert rubber-like dental substance. You should be aware that Gutta-percha is completely safe and compatible with your mouth.
- Use a permanent or temporary filling to restore the dental crown.
If you want to know more about the benefits of root canal treatments, visit Discount Dental at 2735 W Court St, Pasco, WA 99301. You can also reach us at (509) 212-9227.